Labour market update - March 2017 Learning and Work briefing
Submitted by Paul.Bivand on Thu, 16/03/2017 - 3:49pm
Learning and Work have published the March Labour Market statistics briefing
The labour market figures published on 15 March are another set of numbers pointing to modest improvement in employment prospects.
- Unemployment is 1,584,000, down 13,000 from last month’s published figure (quarterly headline down 31,000) and the unemployment rate is 4.7%, down 0.1 percentage points on last month and down 0.1 percentage points on last quarter.
- The number of claimant unemployed is 734,700, down 11,300 on last month, and the claimant rate is 2.1%.
- The number of workless young people (not in employment, full-time education or training) is 1,003,000, down 36,000 on the quarter, representing 14.0% of the youth population (down 0.5 percentage points).
- Youth unemployment (including students) is 554,000, down 33,000 on the quarter.
- There are 2.1 unemployed people per vacancy. Learning and Work Institute estimates this figure may fall next month.
- The employment rate is 74.6% (no change on last month’s published figure and up 0.2 percentage points in the preferred quarterly measure).