Labour market update - February 2017 Learning and Work briefing
Submitted by Paul.Bivand on Fri, 17/02/2017 - 4:55pm
Learning and Work Have published the February Labour Market Statistics update
The labour market figures published on 15 February are at first sight a set of positive figures.
- Unemployment is 1,597,000, down 7,000 from last month’s published figure (quarterly headline also down 7,000) and the unemployment rate is 4.8%, no change on last month and no change on last quarter.
- The number of claimant unemployed is 745,000, down 42,400 on last month, and the claimant rate is 2.1%.
- The number of workless young people (not in employment, full-time education or training) is 1,004,000, down 18,000 on the quarter, representing 14% of the youth population (down 0.2 percentage points).
- Youth unemployment (including students) is 568,000, down 23,000 on the quarter.
- There are 2.1 unemployed people per vacancy. Learning and Work Institute estimates this figure may fall next month.
- The employment rate is 74.6% (up 0.1 percentage points on last month’s published figure and up 0.1 percentage points in the preferred quarterly measure).